Sunday, April 17, 2011
This was a week I decided to try to discover some answers about my journey. I took stock of what I have been doing recently and what I have done in the past. I wanted to see if I could see a clearer picture of what changes I need to make, or go back to in order to make more consistent progress with my weight loss.
There are things I cannot change such as my health issues and my medications. I need to accept the things I cannot change and know that they will affect my weight loss and the pace that I can travel.
There are things I can change and I need to work diligently at those but not try to do too much at one time and become overwhelmed. I will tell you about my discoveries this week.
1. I need to track my weight each week no matter what the scale says. If the number goes up I will track it and accept that there is a problem and try to correct it. CANDOIT! I posted my weight gain the last two weeks and this week I had a loss, not much but a loss.
2. If there is bread in the house I will eat it. My son is staying with me as he transitions from Salina to further north to be close to his fiance. It will be a short stay and he likes potato bread and having some time with him is more important than my lack of willpower at the moment.
3. I cannot sustain long periods of exercise on a daily basis. My back and legs and feet will just not permit it. I was at the pool 2x this week and will try to increase to 3x soon. I did some other activities on the other days. I did find I needed to take 2 days off to rest my joints but chose work days when I knew I would be extra tired.
4. Housework counts. Yesterday I spent the day doing house chores. I did them at a pace my body could cope with including frequent breaks. It still burned calories and kept me moving .
5. Trips to Walmart counts. I usually put on about 2000 steps in the hour or more that I spend between buses. My heart is tending to race even when I do slow walking so as long as I do not hit any dangerous levels this is good for me because I can stop and stand supported by the buggy if I become winded.
These are my realizations for week 6 and finally the ticker is going the right direction. It feels good!