for a printable version of Coach Nicole's Pilates Abs Workout!
About This Workout
This workout will help you strengthen (and stretch) your abdominals, obliques and lower back--without any equipment. Coach Nicole will take you through one short set of 11 Pilates exercises (plus stretches) for a complete core challenge. If you're new to Pilates, we recommend that you watch our short Intro to Pilates
- Length: 12 minutes
- Equipment: Body weight, mat (optional, for cushioning)
- Type of Workout: Strength training (toning) & flexibility
- Muscles Worked: Core (abs, obliques, lower back)
- Fitness Level: Beginning to advanced; since this workout has few transitions, it may also be suitable for individuals with limited mobility.
- Impact: Low-impact
- Safety Precautions: A mat will help cushion your body while lying on the floor. Shoes are optional during this Pilates workout. Always work at your own pace and level, using modifications whenever necessary.
- Extra Tip: Only complete as many exercises as you can using good form, taking a break as needed. As you progress, try to finish the entire video. If you're new to Pilates, some of these exercises will cause fatigue in your neck muscles, but the more you practice the stronger your neck will become. If necessary, use one hand for light support behind your head and neck during exercises, or relax back down to the mat until you're ready to go again.